After serving on the elder board of WBCC for 3 years, I have now rolled off the board and have come on as a staff member with the church. As of this week, I am now our first Church Planting Resident at WBCC! We are gearing up to move to East Austin to partner with a ministry called Mission Possible to plant the seeds of the gospel, with the hope of seeing a new church established there.
PREPARING TO PLANT
Here are some of the major dates and events we are looking ahead to as we prepare to plant:
- OCT 3rd, 2015 Prayer/vision dinner for all who are interested in joining us
- OCT 16th, 2015 “Preparing to Plant” conference in College Station, TX
- NOV 12th-14th, 2015 “Healthy Leaders” conference in Dallas, TX
- JAN 2016 Launch our Core Team Community Group (meeting in East Austin)
- JAN to AUG 2016 Move our Core Team to East Austin to begin serving, building relationships, and sharing the gospel there (we will personally be moving in April)
- MAY 2017 Hold our “Charter Service” where we will officially become a church plant!
Once we move to East Austin, we will continue attending WBCC on Sundays until our Charter Service, but all of our serving and disciple-making efforts will be focused on the people of our East Austin community. I will also continue to serve as the young adult pastor for The Well, as we continue praying about who will take over that ministry and pastor our young adults moving forward. So this will be a gradual shift over the next year and a half, in order to do things in a wise, healthy, sustainable way for both WBCC and our church plant core team. All so that we can continue the vision of seeing the city of Austin saturated with the gospel, for the glory of God!
FUTURE CHURCH PLANTERS
We have also started building residency program based on a lot of our experiences the past few years, and from the wisdom of the Association of Hill Country Churches and other churches we have connected with here, for future church planters. It will involve things like becoming a member of WBCC, apprenticing a Community Group, shepherding a Community Group, leading a Next Gen ministry, becoming an elder, finishing seminary, and then being sent out to plant. We are super excited to be a church-planting church, and by the grace of God hope to plant many churches here in Austin, to the ends of the earth!
It has been an honor to serve as an elder with WBCC, and I’m so excited to now be serving our church as a staff member, and working toward leading the charge on planting our first church!